Redirect your site the Search Engine Friendly way
If you have more than one domain and you’d like to point them all to the same webspace then the best way to do it is using a 301 redirect. This informs search engines that your domain has permanently moved and so will not affect where your site ranks in search results.
You will need the following information to hand:
- cPanel login details for your webspace
- Domain Registrar admin login details
Now you have those details complete the following:
- Check the Name Server details of your current, main, domain. To do this visit Central Ops and click on “Domain Dossier”. Enter your domain details and click “Go”. Then make a note of those details.
- Log in to your Admin Panel for your Domain name that you wish to point to your current webspace. From there locate the “Edit DNS Settings”. Then type in the same Name Server details as your main domain name currently uses. You will then need to wait for around 24-48 hours for the changes to take affect.
- When the changes have taken affect login to your webspace cPanel and locate the “Parked Domains” section. From there enter the url of your secondary domain and click “Add Domain”. This will then appear in a list at the bottom of the page. Click “Manage Redirection” and enter your main domain’s url and click “Save”
To check the redirect enter your secondary url on the SEO Consultants site. This will then give you the response that domain has received from the server. You should see 301 Moved Permanently as the first response. If you do then all is good and functioning well.
Some domain registrars allow you to set up a 301 redirect direct from your admin panel. Many, including 1and1 do not, so you will have to go through the steps listed above.
If you’re still unsure about what to do then get in touch and we’ll be able to provide a free quote for redirecting your domains.