Blogger to WordPress Import
If you’re wanting to move your blog from Blogger to WordPress then here’s a short guide on how do so. Follow the steps and you’ll have your new WordPress blog set up in no time…
This should be a straightfoward process but as usual the easy things can turn into a nightmare. The “easy” way is to go into your newly created WP Blog and select Tools > Import > Blogger. If you’re lucky then it will go ahead and import your Blogger blog. If you’re not you may get an authorisation error such as this:
The page you have requested cannot be displayed. Another site was requesting access to your Google Account, but sent a malformed request. Please contact the site that you were trying to use when you received this message to inform them of the error. A detailed error message follows:
The site “http://www.mysite.com” has not been registered.
If you do then follow these steps:
1. In your Blogger dashboard click “Settings” and then “Export blog”. Click “Download Blog” on the next screen.
2. Next visit http://blogger2wordpress.appspot.com/ and upload your recently downloaded Blogger XML file and click “Convert”. This will then save the WordPress XML to your Computer.
3. Next go back to your WP Admin panel and select Tools > Import > WordPress and upload the latest XML file you previously downloaded. This will then import your Blogger posts into WP.
4. Next download the Blogger Image Import Reloaded plugin and upload to your Plugins directory via FTP.
5. Go back to your WP Admin panel and select Plugins and activate the plugin.
6. Finally go to Settings > Blogger Image Import and click “Start Import” which will then relink all of your Blogger images and add them to your local WP uploads directory. * See update, below.
There you have it – your Blogger blog is now a WordPress Blog!
*** UPDATE ***
Okay, I’ve found that the Blogger Import plugin does have issues with some – not all – images where the do not import correctly and leave broken links. I therefore had to use a combination of Hot Linked Image Cacher and Cache Images.